Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Trailer: "Leaving Selma"

"Leaving Selma," is the first half of Andrew Young's two-part documentary about the historic 1965 march from Selma to Montgomery.




This true story chronicles the little-known facts surrounding "Bloody Sunday," in which peaceful demonstrators, led by John Lewis and Hosea Williams, were severely beaten by Alabama troopers on the Edmund Pettus Bridge -- an event that sparked outrage around the world and resulted in quick passage of the Voting Rights Act.

"Andrew Young Presents" is a series of quarterly specials seen across the U.S. on over 100 television stations, and worldwide on the American Forces Network and on the Word Network.


The conclusion of this story -- "Stars Fell on Alabama" -- can be seen beginning in April. Later in the year, both parts will be available on a single DVD.

7 comments:

  1. just watched this on channel 2.of all the documentaries ive seen on mlk and other civil rights leaders,this is by far the most powerful one.i am 40 years old and i will never view my history as a black man the same,my kids will sit and watch this with me as soon as they return home.i hope there is a way to watch this on the computer.i am truly inspired by the bravery and dignity my people showed.this is the stuff they dont teach us in school...thank you mr young,i wish i had the ability to articulate what my heart feels.thank you is all i can say

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just watched this as well. I am speechless! It should be shown in all schools over the nation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw Part 1 today. What an amazing, powerful story. I wept at the brutality. My heart sang with the heroes that were revealed. I wish I could have marched with such courageous people. I can't wait to see part 2.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just finished watching this in Charlotte,NC and I am aback by the story. You learn acout this in school but the impact is so different from this perspective. How do I find it to show to my girls.

    T. Williams, Charlotte,NC

    ReplyDelete
  6. where can i get this documentary?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where can I purchase the documentary LEAVING SELMA?

    ReplyDelete